Saturday, April 18, 2015

SMOOTHIE LOVE

The air just smells like summer here in New York today! I love looking down from my fifth floor window and not being able to spot one winter coat on the street. The little mom and pop shop downstairs is covering our little corner of Broadway with beautiful flowers. And, I'm going to a picnic this afternoon and plan on making a summery salad to eat on the terrace with my roommate, Jade! It's about time we put that space to use!

Warm weather always brings on the nostalgia of childhood! I have such fond memories of swinging outside, hearing the ice cream truck music in the distance, and running down the street with a few dollars in hand. My mom and dad would just laugh at me as I came back with some huge Mickey Mouse ice cream with gum balls for eyes. As I've grown older, I find myself craving smoothies instead of these massive sugary treats! I love starting my day with a nutritious blend of veggies and fruit!





Here's my favorite mix:

1 cup KALE

1/2 cup CARROTS 

1/2 cup SPINACH

1/2 cup COCONUT MILK

1 BANANA

1 1/2 cup FROZEN FRUIT (I typically do 1/2 berries, 1/2 pineapple, and 1/2 mango)

* click here for a cute little vid I made of me making my smoothie
this morning! 

My rule with veggies is as follows: shove as many in as you can before your smoothie starts to taste like a blended salad. Starting your morning off with 2 cups of veggies and about 2 1/2 cups of fruit will give you energy throughout the day! If you prefer a more fruity smoothie, that's okay! Cut the carrots and spinach... you'll barely taste the kale! 

Here are some more great smoothie recipes:

xo.
Brenna 

2 comments:

  1. I love kale and spinach smoothies! I'll have to try your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenna,

    Thank you zoo much for the shout out. Love the smoothie. Can't wait to try it.

    Alina

    ReplyDelete