Tuesday, April 28, 2015

ONE THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY MILES


When I was younger I pictured myself going off to college (in NY of course) and falling in love. During my senior year of high school, this vision quickly faded as my feelings for Michael grew. Michael and I met when we were thirteen and in the seventh grade. He transferred to our small charter school from the nearby public school. Though we weren't really friends until the week before our senior year, I always thought he was pretty great. After six months of friendship, we started dating. It's been about three and a half years now and we have lived exactly 1,750 miles apart for a majority of our relationship. 

We started dating January of our senior year of high school, knowing we would both be moving away for college later that year. We had our first date over coffee (which he spilled everywhere), went to prom together, graduated high school, and moved away in August. Though the distance was difficult, breaking up was never an option and moving really wasn't either. Long distance isn't easy, but I couldn't picture these past few years any differently. 

After freshman year, I played with the idea of moving back to Colorado to go to school with Michael, but God made it very clear to me that I was supposed to stay in New York. I wrestled with this thought constantly: why would God have these two great things for me in two different places? Was I not supposed to be with Michael? Was I not supposed to be in New York? I realized that having Michael's encouragement and wisdom in my life would actually be crucial in my success in New York, even if he couldn't be here with me. These two things were not mutually exclusive, but rather intricately intertwined in God's plan for my time here. Moving home to Colorado to be with Michael would have been a disservice to myself... it would have been like stepping out of a class because it was difficult, even though it might give me insight and knowledge that I couldn't get elsewhere. 

So, we decided to stick it out through our four years of college, and now we only have one year left! With two busy schedules and a two hour time difference, getting time to talk is difficult. Thankfully, we figured out ways to make it easier. Our sophomore year we started scheduling a few hours in our week to sit down and Skype each other. This intentional time spent catching up on each other's lives made the distance so much more manageable! We also found that picking a book to read together or watching TV shows over Skype allowed us to feel like our lives were a little more in sync. And one plus side to long distance is getting to visit each other! Michael visits tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited! More on his visit later!

I'll admit, long distance presents its challenges, and it isn't for everyone. We were made to be physically present with the people we love, but in these past three years, I have learned that separation can cultivate an even greater love than that which would have been. I can't say what would have happened had Michael and I spent these past three years together. But I can say that being apart has taught me to lean on the Lord, and not Michael, in times of trouble and praise Him when I experience joy. Although I would have loved to experienced my college years with the one I love dearly, the things the Lord has shown me through our distance are more valuable than anything. I am so thankful for this time of growth, but I also really can't wait to live in the same state as that kid again! :)

xo.

Brenna 

P.S. photo credit goes to Mia Alvarez! Check out her how-to calligraphy blog here!

5 comments:

  1. Nice post, Brenna. Where do you guys plan to live after college?

    Alina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alina! I think I'll move back to Colorado at least for a little while! :)

      Delete
    2. I just realized you said "you guys"... Hehe! We will probably stay in Colorado for a little unless some great opportunity comes up elsewhere! :)

      Delete
  2. Conner and I were long-distance for the majority of our first year together, and while it was difficult in some ways, we've recognized that it was actually a really special time in our lives. I wasn't so sure about it in the beginning--I had moved to Europe and didn't want to spend my adventuring time there wishing I was back here. Thankfully, that was not the dynamic at all. I love that it seems you two have really embraced the best of both worlds, too--reveling in your day-to-day apart while also keeping the other near and dear. We look back on our year apart really fondly in so many ways and actually recommend the beginning of a relationship as a great time to start out long-distance ;) That said, long distance can be really tough, and we like life together too much to plan on doing it again for any extended time. Beautiful post, Brenna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you! And I'm glad you guys made it to the other side, especially with a crazy time difference like that! It's true in most things, difficulty brings strength! Thanks for sharing Ariana!

      Delete