Sunday, April 12, 2015

PEACE AND REST


"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came." - John F. Kennedy 

Although I was born and raised landlocked, the ocean is a big part of me. I spent a large portion of every other summer visiting my family in California. My dad and I would swim far out (or at least it seemed far to me at the time) and body surf back in. He never learned how to surf, but he was, and still is today, a great body surfer. He would teach me how to catch the best wave and to ride it as far as it would take me. The ocean has always reminded me of my smallness... my lack of control. I remember getting knocked down by waves and being pulled by the current, not being able to catch my breath. These terrifying moments seemed to go on forever, until I would feel hands under my armpits pulling me back up. From the tumultuous depths of the three feet of ocean he would pull me. And suddenly I would be back in sunny San Diego among laughter and sunscreen. I'm sure every child has had a similar experience with water...Feeling totally out of control and seemingly knocking on death's door. But then those hands. They would pull you up and come to rescue you. 

I've felt somewhat in the depths recently... possibly farther out from shore this time and definitely deeper than three feet of water. And this time everything around me is reminding me of my smallness... my lack of control. Back in February, I planned an Easter weekend trip to the Turks & Caicos with my two friends, Hope and Beth. We wanted to go and have fun and maybe get a tan. But mostly we wanted to escape the cold, cold New York winter. A few months later I was drowning in scary change and horrible news that made this trip seem so unimportant and unappealing. I was tempted to call the airline and plead for a refund, but friends and family encouraged me to go. 

I know swimming in crystal clear water can't solve our problems, but as my sun-soaked body dove into the ocean I felt a baptismal effect being had. My friends and I spent a week napping on the beach, sailing on the open ocean, and eating breakfast in the cockpit of a sailboat called Freya. Though my fears loomed steadily above me all the while, these moments of rest reminded me that I am loved. That my family is loved. That the one who conquered death forever has an active role in my life. The Lord planned a trip for me in February, knowing it would restore my soul in April. I feel tied to coasts, to the ocean, I think because it reminds me of my humanness and those hands that will always be there to save me from it.


If you want to take an amazing vacation to a warm destination, make sure to visit Blue Haven Resort and Marina in the Turks and Caicos! The staff was so friendly, the beach was clean and well-kept, and the food and drinks were amazing!

xo.
Brenna

No comments:

Post a Comment