Friday, March 27, 2015

THE GREAT ESCAPE: three ways to escape manhattan

It wasn't until I moved away from Colorado, my home of eighteen years, that I realized I was a Coloradan. I found solace in the mountains and loved nothing more than sticking my feet in a cold stream during a long hike. I didn't get the same feeling when I would accidentally step in a puddle of slush on Sixth Ave. New York just wasn't the same. It took me a while to adjust to seeing tall buildings outside my window instead of snowcapped peaks.

I've lived in Manhattan for almost three years now and have learned to love the city for its beauty. It's just a different beauty... watching the sunset leak between the trees and flood my little block or playing in the snow with friends in Central Park. I've learned to love this city because I love the people I've explored it with. I never regret moving to New York. The people I've met in my time here will be friends for life, though more days than not, I have to force myself to embrace my life in the city and sink into the fact that I am a New Yorker for now. I take the subway many times daily, climb five flights of stairs, and see rats too close to my feet for comfort. These are things I've learned to laugh about with the people around me. These people make it worth it everyday. And though the city life itself has so many benefits and joys, some days you just need to escape it all. Even just for an hour. Here are three of my favorite ways to "escape" the city:

1. Walk through pathways of beautiful trees and flowers in the heart of Brooklyn at Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. Though the flowers are beautiful year-round, my favorite time to go is early May to see the Cherry Blossom trees in full bloom! And it's free all day Tuesday and from 10 to noon on Saturdays.

2. Go see the ocean! I always forget I live so close to the Atlantic. I was landlocked for eighteen years, so that's kind of a foreign thought! And maybe that's why the sight of the open ocean is so stunning to me. It's the same jaw-dropping beauty as reaching the top of a mountain. You may want to play beach volleyball in the summer or go think by the ocean on a snow-covered beach... both Coney Island in Brooklyn and Rockaway Beach and Boardwalk in Queens will serve you well!

3. Feel like you are in a magical town in Europe by visiting The Cloisters in Fort Tryon Park. Hop in a car or take the A train to 190th. You can go explore the museum or walk around the garden and the grounds. You could even make a day of it by grabbing a bite to eat at the loveliest little restaurant called The New Leaf!

xo.
Brenna

No comments:

Post a Comment