Sunday, April 12, 2015

HOOKED ON CROCHET


It was senior year of high school when I realized my great lack of a hobby. For once in my life I wasn’t playing competitive sports and my short career in theater had recently ended. Let me just say, I had down time. And a lot of it. Enough so that one evening I took a trip to the local craft store with one thing in mind: find a hobby. I could very well have left with anything, but after circling the store several times, I decided to learn to crochet. I didn’t realize then that I was starting something that I will likely be doing for the rest of my life. 
I learned solely through YouTube videos—watching different grandmas’ and crafters’ hands working tirelessly under the lens of a video camera. My first attempt was fruitless, but after several days of practice, I made my first scarf. Over the following months I perfected the cowl neck scarf and began to challenge myself with new patterns and projects. 

Crocheting has not only given me something to do on long rides on the subway, but it has shown me the benefit of committing to a task and pushing through the early stages of learning. The rewards of being able to create are very satisfying. I began by copying videos on YouTube, endlessly repeating and redoing, and have since created my own patterns. I now sell my scarves and headbands online and it brings me joy to see people wearing the products that my hands created! 

I thought about making my own video tutorial, but thought it a proper homage to my share the videos of my past “teachers”—here and here

For beginners, I recommend using a 10.0mm crochet hook and Lion Brand’s Hometown USA acrylic yarn, which can be purchased at most local craft stores or at their online store. This yarn is great for your first scarf because it’s inexpensive (in case you mess up) and it comes in bright and light colors, which will be better when you are first crocheting. Once you have your supplies and some sweet alone time (or a group of crafty friends), sit down, press play, and follow along. Don’t be afraid to press pause and take your time! This could very well be the beginning of a lifelong hobby!

* this post was originally published in an online publication for intentionally minded women called In Earnest Magazine.

xo.
Brenna 

6 comments:

  1. Adorable! This might have just become my new weekend plans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah that's my mom! She is famous! I love this blog almost as much as I love my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you modernized something that in too many people's opinion isn't a hobby for the youth. You made me want to start Crocheting. I bet it would be a great way to save money and keep me committed to a new hobby! Speaking of saving money, check out my blog connyrotaespresso.blogspot.com and virtually travel around Italy with me at an affordable price!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenna,

    Love your style! It's so fresh and I love all of your pics! Can't wait for my white crocheted monokini:)
    Check out my health blog if you have free time: alinasmakemehealthy.blogspot.com

    Keep up the good work!
    Alina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything you crochet is so beautiful! I'm looking forward to reading your blog. :)
    - Hannah

    ReplyDelete