Thursday, April 16, 2015

EXPLORING THE HOOD: upper west side coffee shops

Moving to a new neighborhood can be intimidating. Where do you go grocery shopping? Where do you run to grab ice cream when you really need it the most? Who are your neighbors? What's the crime rate in the area? These are just a few of the questions you might ask when you relocate, but I think the most important question of all is, "What coffee shops are in my hood?" I mean, think about it. Where do you study? Where do you meet up with old friends? Where do you go on a first date? The answer? A cute coffee shop! 

When I moved to the Upper West Side almost two years ago I wasn't really familiar with the area, but I knew one thing: that it would be imperative that I find the best coffee shops in the neighborhood. Here are my five favorite spots on the Upper West Side:


1. Birch Coffee: 750 Columbus Ave (between 96th and 97th)
Birch is dedicated to serving its customers, claiming "Service is what we offer, coffee is how we get there." With an array of artisan coffee and delicious grilled cheese, Birch has easily become one of my favorite places to meet up with friends or catch up on reading. Don't know what your next read should be? Birch has a whole bookshelf of books for the taking or trading! I got the most adorable French children's book ever! 



2. Earth Cafe: 2576 Broadway (between 97th and 98th)
Earth Cafe is my new favorite! It has only been open for six months and its less than five minutes from my apartment. The baristas are so kind and the environment is bright and sunny, fitted with whitewash walls and open, airy windows. This place does have outlets and a ton of seating, making it a great place to work! They have great organic vegan treats and dishes and delicious lattes! I'm so glad it's finally getting warm. I'll be here all the time! 


* photo taken by my dear friend Mia Alvarez (click here to check our her beautiful calligraphy blog!)


3. Plowshares Coffee: 2730 Broadway (between 104th and 105th)
This little gem can be found on the North end of the Upper West Side. Plowshares specializes in their roasting process, making small batches to optimize roast profile. In other words, they are really good at what they do. With social responsibility at the core of their spirit, they source only fair-trade beans. They also serve the most delicious kombucha from Kombucha Brooklyn! Though the seating is limited, it's a great place to stop for a quick coffee run! Don't forget to admire the beautiful art on the wall!


4. Joe Coffee: 514 Columbus Ave. (between 84th and 85th)
Nestled among dozens of great little restaurants and shops, Joe Coffee is the perfect place to grab an after-dinner treat or cappuccino. With little bistro tables, high ceilings, and a great view of the street, this place reminds me of a small cafe in France! Also, for any wannabe baristas, the Joe Coffee "Pro shop" on W. 21st street offers a variety of classes. So if you're willing to venture downtown, spend a nice afternoon learning how to create latte art!


5. Irving Farm Coffee Roasters: 224 W. 79th street
Last but not least, Irving Farm is one of the best places to go to get work done! There are a ton of tables and plenty of outlets to go around. Not to mention, the coffee is delicious and the food menu seems endless. It has a modern feel in the back, while keeping with the classic New York cafe vibe in the front. There is a great little nook in the back for serious studying, or a community table in the front for small groups to meet. I love visiting Irving Farm and then walking up Broadway to Westsider Books (between 80th and 81st)


Now that I've told you about all best coffee shops to visit on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, follow my friend Conny's blog to find out where to get the best espresso in all of Italy!

I clearly love the Upper West Side, but I'm always open to exploring another neighborhood! What's your favorite coffee shop in your hood?

xo.
Brenna

3 comments:

  1. I don't have the thrill of living in an NYC 'hood, but in my downtown Colorado Springs neighborhood, I love going to Fifty Fifty and Stir. Let's meet up for some lattes in a few weeks. I'll bring a cute baby...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brenna for promoting my blog!
    Find out which are the best places where to have coffee in Italy, and the Italians' favorite coffee brand @ connyrotaespresso.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete