Friday, May 8, 2015

A CITY GIRL'S GUIDE TO THE GREAT OUTDOORS

 
I head back home to Colorado in five days, and I couldn't be more excited to spend time with my wonderful family and breath in the fresh mountain air once again. As I'm getting ready to pack for the summer, I remind myself that I don't need much other than my Birkenstocks, some soft t-shirts, and a few good pairs of shorts. I feel so lucky to be able to call the great state of Colorado my home and I can't wait to explore it some more this summer.

Whenever I tell people where I'm from, I usually get a response like, "I go skiing there!" or "It's one of my dreams to hike there!" Since so many people plan on visiting the Rocky Mountains at some point, I decided I would write out a packing list! If anything, I hope this post finally prompts my dear friends to come visit!

So here is a general list of some things you might consider buying before you visit Colorado:

1. Birkenstocks or Chacos- you'll want a comfortable pair of shoes to walk around in. I would suggest getting both, since Birks are great for hanging around and walking short distances in, while Chacos are perfect for hiking. I love wearing sandals when I hike so that I can step in puddles and get as wet as I want!

2. Patagonia Fleece- any fleece will do, but Patagonia is always a safe bet. Because of Colorado's dry climate, the temperature drops significantly in the evenings. Make sure to bring a comfy jacket that you can wear when you are camping and hiking later into the evening.

3. Fanny Pack-  remember those funny pouches your mom used to wear in the 80s and 90s? Yeah, well it's great for hiking. I love wearing a fanny pack when I hike so I can have everything I need in a small, easy to carry pouch right in front of me! Click here and here for some really cute ones!

4. Chapstick- make sure its reliable and that you have A LOT of it. Colorado can be very dry in the summer so you're lips are likely to prune up like a raisin. My favorite chapsticks to fight off raisin lips are SunShades Lip Balm (in peach mango, of course) and Rosebud Salve (from Sephora for $6).

5. SmartWool socks- If you plan on hiking a lot, prepare carefully by packing comfortable hiking socks. SmartWool is the best brand for comfy and warm socks. They may be a little pricey, but it's totally worth it. They will last forever.





2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAH I doubt you will pack as little as you're saying you will, but we will see...SO EXCITED TO SEE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm personally a big fan of brennafox blog. Thanks for sharing this post.
    clipping path service

    ReplyDelete